Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pick a Pack, But Not Just Any Pack!

I have read and read and read about backpacks.   I read opinions, I read reviews and I've spent countless hours on the REI website as well as the Osprey website.   Making notes, comparing features, comparing weight and whether or not different packs come in a torso size that will fit me.  I have a short torso.

There are backpacks of all kinds that come in size small; but, these backpacks are not in stock anywhere closer to me than Bloomington, Minnesota.   I would have driven there if I'd had to but ultimately, didn't have to.

I knew, though, that I couldn't just order a backpack online and hope that it would fit.  My combination of short torso and wide hips made it a sure bet that something would be ill-fitting.  I knew I had to try them on in person with the assistance of a salesperson who knows backpacks.

I had good luck at Backwoods in Overland Park, but it took an hour of trying on packs to finally find one that would work.  The Osprey Exos that I wanted just didn't fit.   What fits in the hips didn't fit in the shoulders and vice versa.   I was beginning to wonder if I would leave empty handed.

I settled on a beautiful Osprey Kyte 46 in medium, but it fits me well.  It's comfortable but it is actually way heavier than I'd wanted it to be.  

You see, the heavier the pack itself is, the less I can put in it before it reaches a weight that is the maximum that I can carry.  A pack at 3.5 lbs is pretty hefty.

I had no choice.   No choice except drive to Bloomington and hope the REI there would have something else.

If I wind up needing to do that later in the year, I will.  But for now, I have a pack and I can train with it and get accustomed to carrying pounds on my back.

The backpack will be near and dear to me for many many steps.  It's important for it to fit and be comfortable.  My Osprey Kyte 46 seems to accomplish both.

Buen Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment