Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Changes

As the time to travel to Spain draws near, some of my original plans have changed.

I was initially going to start walking on Oct. 1, 2013, which would have been my Mom's 80th birthday.
In trying to make my dreams and reality segue as smoothly as possibly, I realized I needed to push my trip off until after Oct. 15th.  People on tax extension have until October 15th to file.   I'm a self-employed tax lady and need to be here to serve my clients.

My initial plan was to start my walk in Roncesvalles, Spain.  I now plan to start in Sarria.  People start at various places along the Camino Frances.  Where people start depends on how much time they have to spend walking.   I had planned to be gone for 7 weeks but as spring moved into to summer and September was drawing close, I knew that I couldn't stay gone for 7 weeks.  I don't even want to.

I have a business that needs me almost daily.  I have a greyhound who loves our morning walks.  So, between these two, I decided that 3 weeks was long enough.  Honestly, being gone from my Gallagher dog for even three weeks just sounds awful!   Once I begin, though, it will be fine.

When arriving at the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela, if you have walked at least the last 100km (68 miles) from Sarria to Santiago, you will receive a compostela signifying your achievement.

Even at the slow pace that I intend to walk, I should be able to walk from Sarria to Santiago in a week.  It will be leisurely, enjoyable and liberating.  The weather should be glorious and the crowds thinned down.  I expect at least 50% of my time to be spent walking in rain.   I have bought good rain gear.

One final change to my itinerary:   My Mom's ashes were to travel with me in a special necklace designed to carry the ashes of a loved one.  Since purchasing that necklace, my Dad has also passed away.   So, the ashes of both my Mom and my Dad will be around my neck in a new necklace that I bought and had engraved.  Together, we will make this journey of discovery.

It will be a special time, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment