Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Domingo 20 Octubre 2013

I'm sitting in a bus station in Burgos. Not so surprising. Pilgrims take buses all the time. But the bus I'm taking isn't going where I originally thought it would take me.  No.

 Why not?

I am a very careful person. I don't have anyone to protect me and really never have. So, I am SO careful with my belongings, my money, my purse, my keys, my phone.

But, sometimes when we are tired, we do things that greatly affect how our life path is going to go. And, what I did yesterday morning has changed my plans considerably.

When stuffing unnecessary things into my duffle so I could take it to the post office and mail it forward to myself to pick up when I arrive in Santiago, I put my fanny pack in it, since I'm not comfy wearing it. I
pulled the stuff out of the credit card slots, failing to remember that only nonessential stuff was in those slots. My credit card and debit card were in a zippered slot.

So my credit and debit cards got mailed to Santiago with my duffle bag. I didn't realize it until about an hour later. I went back to the oficina de correos to see if I could retrieve my box, but they closed at 1pm.

I was beside myself with worry for awhile. Now I just accept that it is what it is. I toured the Burgos cathedral but am unsure if I saw El Cid. I think I did but there were a lot of tombs there. It was beautiful and huge, ornate and gilded. I loved the cloisters.

I didn't linger in the art show display. I was wearing clogs and was ready to go back to my hotel. I was going to take a city tour on the train but it was too late when I got out of the cathedral. I didn't think it would take so long but I was probably on there an hour and a half. Went back to my room and stayed there.

So, as you can see, I lost my train of though and rambled off my topic. I figured I had two choices. Take the night train to Sarria as I'd planned and take my chances walking and having my money last. Or take the bus to Santiago and retrieve my box with my credit & debit cards so I don't have to worry.

My choice: go to Santiago and wait for them to arrive. I've emailed Badalada to tell them my box is coming. I've also emailed them to tell them I am coming today. No response. At least, none that has come through.

I took it easy this morning. Took a sleeping poll at 11pm last night, fell asleep immediately, and got up at 9am. So 9+ hours sleep last night and 12+ the night before. By the time I start my Camino, I should be rested.

The upside to going to Santiago today is this: I'm certain my pack is too heavy. I'm going to ditch my clothes since I've yet to be cold and also my iPhone. It is heavy and my iPod is fine. Perhaps not enough room for photos but who gives a hoot.
My bus leaves at 13:15, about 45 minutes from now. 8 hour trip. I have no reservations in Santiago and don't know if Badalada will let me in. I tell myself  'don't worry, God will provide.' And God will. God got me into this, God will get me through it.

Just strapping on my backpack and walking from the hotel to the estacion de autobus made me feel better. Being proactive instead of victimized.

I'm not a victim. I'm Peregrina Juliana.

(I wrote this and it's been in my folder.  I still agree I am not a victim...but being in Spain did not work for me.  So, I'm not peregrina Juliana...I'm just a tourist who wound up not really enjoying the destination)

No comments:

Post a Comment